Friday, April 4, 2014

Celebrate Easter Big – Lent:  Day 31     
Scripture:  Romans 8:1-4:
Paul begins chapter 8 with the word “Therefore” because in chapter 7 he was crying out, “Wretched man that I am!  Who will set me free from the body of this death?”  Then he answers himself in verse 25:  “Thanks be to GOD through JESUS CHRIST our LORD!
So here it is, the good news:  “Therefore,” because of what GOD accomplished through the death, burial, and resurrection of JESUS, “there is now no condemnation for those who are in CHRIST JESUS (Romans 8:1).”  In JESUS there is freedom from the power of sin.  We are not yet perfect and while living in this world it is not yet final freedom, but it is decisive and irrevocable freedom (v. 2).
We did not receive acquittal because our lives have changed.  Our lives are changing because we have been justified.  There isn’t anything left for us to do in order to earn acquittal.  GOD did it all (v. 3).
GOD didn’t simply criticize sin and call it condemnable.  Through the atoning work of JESUS in His suffering and dying body on the cross GOD executed a final sentence of condemnation on the sin of everyone who is in CHRIST.
JESUS never sinned.  Of all the people who have ever lived, JESUS is the only One who did not deserve to die.  JESUS is the only person who ever lived who did not deserve to suffer.  But He did and He did so in our place . . . instead of us.
JESUS was “delivered over because of our transgressions” (Romans 4:25); “CHRIST died for our sins according to the Scriptures” (1 Corinthians 15:3); JESUS “gave Himself for our sins” (Galatians 1:4).   
It was our sin that was being condemned and sentenced and punished completely and fully and finally and I will not be punished for it ever again.  And so we sing:
My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device nor creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.
I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that he died for me.

Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul, I come to him,
He'll never cast me out.
My heart is leaning on the Word,
The written Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior's name,
Salvation through his blood.
My great Physician heals the sick,
The lost he came to save;
For me his precious blood he shed,
For me his life he gave.

JESUS is Risen . . . !

Richard Holloman

No comments:

Post a Comment